Rovers close to �2.5m Alan Smith deal
BLACKBURN boss Sam Allardyce is close to sealing a �2.5m deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith. (Daily Star)The Rovers chief has been targeting the ex-England man since he took over at Ewood Park and has moved quickly to nail down a deal.
BLACKBURN boss Sam Allardyce is close to sealing a �2.5m deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith. (Daily Star)
The Rovers chief has been targeting the ex-England man since he took over at Ewood Park and has moved quickly to nail down a deal.
Newcastle are desperate to offload Smith following their relegation to the Championship and will help contribute to his �60,000-a-week wages.
Smith failed to make an impact with the Magpies after being plucked from Manchester United for �5m.
A succession of injuries left him spending most of his time in the St James's Park treatment room while Newcastle fought their unsuccessful relegation battle.
Allardyce has a history of resurrecting the careers of injury-prone players and believes he can get the best out of Smith again.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 5 A12 blocked following two vehicle crash
- 6 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 7 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 8 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 9 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 10 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
And he is convinced Smith could be a bargain priced replacement for the departing striker Roque Santa Cruz.