Rovers close to �2.5m Alan Smith deal
BLACKBURN boss Sam Allardyce is close to sealing a �2.5m deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith. (Daily Star)The Rovers chief has been targeting the ex-England man since he took over at Ewood Park and has moved quickly to nail down a deal.
BLACKBURN boss Sam Allardyce is close to sealing a �2.5m deal for Newcastle striker Alan Smith. (Daily Star)
The Rovers chief has been targeting the ex-England man since he took over at Ewood Park and has moved quickly to nail down a deal.
Newcastle are desperate to offload Smith following their relegation to the Championship and will help contribute to his �60,000-a-week wages.
Smith failed to make an impact with the Magpies after being plucked from Manchester United for �5m.
You may also want to watch:
A succession of injuries left him spending most of his time in the St James's Park treatment room while Newcastle fought their unsuccessful relegation battle.
Allardyce has a history of resurrecting the careers of injury-prone players and believes he can get the best out of Smith again.
- 1 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 2 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 4 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 6 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 7 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 8 Family's heartfelt tribute to 'devoted mother' of four who died in crash
- 9 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 10 Four miles of queues after A12 collision
And he is convinced Smith could be a bargain priced replacement for the departing striker Roque Santa Cruz.