Ryan Crisp fit and raring to go again

RYAN Crisp is raring to go again to try and earn himself a contract with Ipswich Town.

The 18-year-old striker was invited to Portman Road for a six-week trial in November, after impressing playing for Kirkley & Pakefield in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.

However, injury cut short his trial period, but Crisp has now fully recovered and is waiting to hear if, and when, he will be asked to resume his bid to be taken on full time.

Crisp returned to action as a second-half substitute for Kirkley in their 1-1 draw at Felixstowe & Walton United on New Year’s Eve.

”It has been a really frustrating time for me,” admitted the striker who was with Norwich City for four years until he was 14 and joined the Royals two years later and made his first-team debut in a 1-1 draw against Mildenhall Town on his 17th birthday in September 2010.

You may also want to watch:

Crisp was making frequent appearances from off the bench up until the start of last year when several established players left after the club cut their budget which paved the way for him to feature more regularly.

He netted a dozen goals last season and has already found the net 11 times so far in the current campaign despite his truncated appearances.

Most Read

Crisp was invited for a trial after catching the eye while Ipswich Town were monitoring the progress of Academy long-term injury victim Nicolay Schroder, who had joined Kirkley on work experience to aid his rehabilitation.

Crisp recalled: “Ipswich Town came to watch him to see how he was doing in a match at Dereham and I played quite well and scored twice in a 4-1 win.”

The hot-shot striker started his trial after scoring four times in a 5-2 win against Hadleigh United in mid-November only to pull up lame just as his big chance beckoned.

“I went all the way to Fulham with the Youth team and Gerard Nash, who was in charge, told me I was going to come on for half an hour, but I strained my quad muscle in the warm-up before the game which kept me out for three weeks. Then in my first training session back my hamstring went and I have only just fully recovered from that.

“I hope that I am going to be invited back now that the youth team players have returned following their Christmas break,” added Crisp.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter