Ryan Gondoh a possible inclusion as U’s boss McGreal could tinker with squad
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, is set to tinker with his side during the last couple of games of the season, and to that end he might blood one or two of his regulars from the under-23s.
McGreal will certainly not be making any wholesale changes, but there might be a few additions to the match-day squad.
Ex-Maldon & Tiptree midfielder Ryan Gondoh, signed from the Jammers on an 18-month contract in January, could be one of those to enjoy a possible step up to the senior squad, either for tomorrow’s final match against Swindon Town, or the final day trip to Exeter City the following weekend.
Midfielder Gondoh, formerly on the books of Barnet (2014-16), netted 12 goals in 29 first-team appearances for the Jammers during the first half of this season, before signing a professional contract with the U’s, on the same day as his ex- Jammers team-mate Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe.
Gondoh, 20, has been showing up well for the U’s under-23s.
You may also want to watch:
McGreal explained: “We’ve got to change a few things around, looking to pre-season and what we are going to do next season.
“We’ve got to see what we have got. We might be looking at one or two, because it’s an ideal opportunity to put them in, but there are rules and regulations we have to abide by, and I certainly won’t be making four, five, six or seven changes.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
“We want to win these last two games, so it’s just a case of looking at a certain player or two from the under-23s, bringing another body in maybe.”
With regards Gondoh, McGreal added: “Ryan Gondoh is one of those who come to mind, but we will have to wait and see.”
One familiar face set to return to the U’s squad tomorrow afternoon is Tom Lapslie.
Midfielder Lapslie has missed the last four matches, since hobbling off with a hamstring injury during the opening few minutes of the 2-1 home win over Luton at the end of last month.
McGreal confirmed: “Tom (Lapslie) has trained all week, so he will be in and around it.”
Left-sided specialist Brennan Dickenson remains the only player on the injured list.