Ryan Meikle’s proving a cut above in darts world
A TEENAGE darts player proved to be a cut above the rest when he won the Colchester Open at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
Ryan Meikle, 16, scooped top prize at the home of the U’s when he defeated his close friend and current England under-18 international Arron Fairweather, of Leiston, in the final.
Ryan, of Knodishall, harbours his own ambitions of representing his country, having played for the North of England, but also has another string to bow as he trains to be a champion crimper at Paul Henri Aveda Concept Salon in Ipswich.
“Not a lot of darts players are into that kind of thing (hairdressing) and I do get a bit of stick about it.
“But I really enjoy what I do,” said Ryan.
You may also want to watch:
I work quite long hours and I spend a lot of my spare time practising my darts.
“I have been playing since the age of eight or nine and I expected to get to the semi-finals or perhaps the final.
- 1 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 2 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 5 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 6 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 7 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 8 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
“Arron is a good friend, we practise together and we travel to a lot of tournaments together and we both have ambitions to succeed at the highest level possible in the game.”
Ryan, who plays for Aldeburgh, started playing the sport as a result of his dad, Andy, who plays for Homeguard.