RYMAN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE NORTH: Needham Market boss Mark Morsley believes AFC Sudbury will be his team’s main competition for promotion
- Credit: James Ager
The Ryman League Division One North fixtures were announced yesterday. STUART WATSON spoke to Needham Market boss Mark Morsley and AFC Sudbury manager David Batch about their hopes for the 2014/15 season.
Last season: 5th (beaten by Witham in the play-off semi-finals)
Key signing: Danny Cunningham (Bury Town)
Manager Mark Morsley said: “Ever since we lost the play-off game to Witham we’ve all been gagging for the new season to start. Some people might look at the team we had last season and say that we underachieved, but for me it was always going to be a bit of a transition season.
You may also want to watch:
“The building blocks are in place now and we have that continuity and familiarity. I expect us to win the league every year because I set high standards for myself. I’m not saying that to be bullish or big-headed, I just believe in my ability and the ability of my staff and my players.
“My expectation is to get promoted. Needham Market need to be moving up the non-league ladder.”
- 1 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 5 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 6 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
He added: “Sudbury have to be our main competitors when you look at the number of players they have brought in. They’ve really pushed the boat out and should expect to be up there.
“Then again it can take a while for everyone to gel when you’ve made that many changes. There is a lot to be said for team spirit, familiarity and consistency at this level. And we’ve got that.
“Thurrock should be up there, Harlow look like they’ve done some good business, Dereham will probably be better for their first year at this level too. I can’t wait.”
– For Needham Market’s full fixture list click here
Last season: 10th
Key signings: Jake Reed (Lowestoft), Ryan Maxwell (Heybridge), Craig Pope (Grays), Kris Newby (Witham), Ayrton Coley (Waltham Abbey), Jack Guyton (Wroxham), Lawrence Yiga (Ware)
Manager Dave Batch said: “We’ve brought in quite a few players from the league above and strengthened virtually every area of the squad.
“They’ve all bought into what we want to achieve and next week we are heading to Ireland for a pre-season camp. That should add a bit of togetherness.
“The ambition is always to simply be better every year. That is no different this time around.”
– For AFC Sudbury’s full fixture list click here