Ryman League round-up: A damaging defeat for Needham Market

John Sands scored for Needham

John Sands scored for Needham - Credit: Archant

Needham Market’s Ryman League Premier Division play-off hopes were dealt another blow after they lost 2-1 at Metropolitan Police on Saturday.

Noel Aitkens was on the mark for Bury Town

Noel Aitkens was on the mark for Bury Town - Credit: Archant

The Marketmen, who dropped out of the top five for the first time in 182 days after last weekend’s 4-1 defeat against Staines Town, slipped to eighth after this latest defeat on the road.

John Sands put Needham in front on 55 minutes, but a 75th minute penalty from Charlie Collins and a 90th minute winner by Roman Michael-Percil sealed victory for their mid-table hosts.

The defeat leaves Mark Morsley’s side three places and one point adrift of the play-offs with three games to go.

Elsewhere, Lowestoft Town slipped to a 3-1 defeat away at play-off hopefuls Dulwich Hamlet.

Travis Cole’s 48th minute equaliser for the Trawlerboys had cancelled out Ibra Sekajja’s 23rd minute opener for the hosts, before second half goals from Dumebi Dumaka and Panutche Camara sealed the points for Dulwich.

In Division One North, Bury Town made it back-to-back wins with a 2-1 victory over Cheshunt at Ram Meadow.

Most Read

Two first half goals from Noel Aitkens and Luke Read gave the Blues their fourth straight win at home.

Ben Chenery’s side took the lead on 20 minutes when some good attacking play saw the ball fall to Aitkens and, with the Cheshunt goalkeeper off his line, he smashed a low strike into the bottom of the net.

The visitors always looked dangerous going forward and nearly equalised four minutes later, with a free kick from Tom Bruno tipped over the bar by Bury goalkeeper Neil O’Sullivan.

The Blues doubled their lead on 35 minutes after Josh Mayhew’s first attempt at goal rebounded out to Read, who powered his header past the goalkeeper.

Cheshunt were determined to get back in the game and O’Sullivan was forced into another save after the break, this time denying substitute Brendan McCarthy.

The Bury defence stood strong until the second minute of injury time, as a free kick from Joe Clemo ended up in the far corner of the net, but the Blues saw the game out to seal another win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter