Ryman league round-up: Brace from Matt Blake helps Leiston secure three points on Harlow trip

Leiston's Jack Ainsley (right) scores against Grays Athletic earlier this season. Stock image

Leiston's Jack Ainsley (right) scores against Grays Athletic earlier this season. Stock image - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

Two goals at the end of either half from the league’s leading scorer Matt Blake gave Glenn Driver’s Leiston side three precious points in their quest for a play off berth.

It was a real smash and grab effort for the Suffolk side against hosts Harlow Town with the winning goal coming in the second minute of stoppages at the end of the game.

Home ‘keeper David Hughes made two early smart saves from Tom Bullard and then Matt Blake but from here it was Harlow dominating possession but unable to really test the returning Ashlee Jones in the visitors goal. Two minutes before the interval it was Leiston who broke the deadlock. Adeyinka Cole creating space for a shot that was blocked but fell invitingly for Blake to sweep home.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first with Ashlee Jones forced into a neat save to deny his namesake Billy Jones. The hosts drew level on 71 minutes, Alex Read reacting well to Billy Jones flick on to rifle home. It looked likely that both sides would share a point at the Harlow Arena but for Blake’s late intervention. A deep free kick saw the Blues striker in the clear and his brilliant first touch set him up to drill home low beyond David Hughes’ from just inside the box in the 92nd minute.

Meanwhile in Worthing, visitors Lowestoft Town secured a 1-0 win at the Bibby Financial Services Stadium.

You may also want to watch:

Shaun Bammant’s 87th minute header following a late corner was enough to secure three points for the visitors.

The game had looked destined to end goalless with neither side exuding quality in the final third, and in fact Lowestoft’s goal was their only shot on target in the entire game.

Most Read

It was a bad day at the office for the Needham Market players who went down 2-1 away at Hendon.

An early score from Matt Ball put the hosts into the lead after nine minutes and Keagan Cole had doubled the lead before half time.

Needham’s consolation came 11 minutes from time via Luke Ingram.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter