Ryman League round-up: Brothers seals the points for Leiston while Needham Market remain winless

Patrick Brothers scored Leiston's winner at Tonbridge

Patrick Brothers scored Leiston's winner at Tonbridge - Credit: James Ager

A round-up of all the weekend action for our local teams in the Ryman League, including a last gasp victory for Leiston, defeats for Needham and Sudbury and a narrow success for Bury.

Premier Division Tonbridge Angels 0 Leiston 1

A goal deep into injury time from Patrick Brothers saw Leiston claim a welcome, if slightly unexpected three points at second-placed Tonbridge Angels.

Brothers waltzed a weaving, mazy run down the left, leaving players in his wake before finding the net via the upright.

But it could have been so different for the hosts had Tom Phipps converted a 48th-minute penalty rather than place his spot kick wide of Ashlee Jones’ goal.

You may also want to watch:

For long spells, the visitors were forced to defend and they did this brilliantly, frustrating their free-scoring hosts. Tonbridge posed the greater threat with Nathan Elder and Nicky Wheeler testing Jones in the visitors goal.

But it was not all one way traffic and both John Sands and Gareth Heath, making his 200th League appearance for Leiston, went close in the first half.

Most Read

Early in the second half came the first talking point as Blake Saker was adjudged to have fouled Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick in the box. Leiston weren’t happy with the decision but felt considerably better when Phipps sliced his spot-kick wide, as Brothers struck late.

Needham Market 2 Harrow Borough 4

Needham Market are still without a competitive win this season.

The Marketmen pushed Harrow close in this game, but left themselves too much to do after falling 3-0 down.

Lewis Driver gave Harrow a 11th-minute lead, before two goals in four minutes from Marc Charles-Smith (47) and Spencer McCall (51) left Needham with a mountain to climb.

To the Marketmen’s credit, they almost completed a turnaround with Kem Izzet pulling a goal back on 53 minutes, and Sam Newson reducing the deficit to just one with 22 minutes to go.

But Harrow added a late fourth to kill off Needham hopes.

Division One North AFC Sudbury 0 Maldon & Tiptree 2

The visitors scored two second-half goals to condemn Sudbury to their second league defeat of the season and topple them from the top of the league table.

The closest Sudbury came to scoring came after five minutes when Jordan Blackwell cut inside and unleashed a shot that hit a post and rebounded to safety.

Maldon finished the half strongly and twice hit the woodwork.

The visitors started the second half strongly and they broke the deadlock after 54 minutes when Akinwande made the most of some poor defending and his low cross found the unmarked McQueen who fired home.

Maldon clinched the points with a second goal in the last minute when Akinwande broke clear, riding two tackles before scoring with an unstoppable shot.

Haringey Borough 2 Bury Town 3

Bury got off to a flying start, going two goals up in the first five minutes.

First up was a Bradley Barber spot kick with only four minutes on the clock. David Lampshire was brought down just inside the box and Barber dispatched the penalty with ease.

A minute later, Noel Aitkens fired the Blues into a two-goal lead after some good build-up work from Bury.

The visitors got their third on 28 minutes, a Barber corner was headed clear, only for Craig Nurse to smash home the rebound from outside the box.

Haringey hit the ground running in the second period and soon got a goal back through Ashley Fashanu on 47 minutes.

The goal lifted the home side and they took the game to Bury for most of the second half.

On 83 minutes, substitute Daniel Ailey grabbed another goal back for the home side with a powerful header from a free-kick outside the box, but Bury held on.

Harlow Town 5 Witham Town 2

Once again Witham fell behind through early goals, and once again squandered chances, finding themselves four goals to nil down at half time.

Former Ipswich defender Ibrahima Sonko headed in the first, Ryan Melaugh raced down the wing and scored the second, Lewis Perkins made it three and Alex Read the fourth as Harlow dominated the first half.

However, Witham did stage a mini fight back after the break, and in fact, won the second half 2-1. Danny Emmanuel shot low for the first and Lance Atkins headed in a corner and although Read scored another for the hosts, Witham were equally as good as the Harlow team in the second half but alas, failed to finish off good build ups that broke down at the final hurdle.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter