Ryman League round-up: Defeat for Needham, but wins for AFC Sudbury and Witham Town
- Credit: Su Anderson
A round-up of the weekend’s Ryman League games featuring our local teams.
Ryman Premier Division Merstham 2 Needham Market 0
Needham Market remain without a win in the Ryman Premier Division this season, after goals from Tom Kavanagh and Michael Abnett handed hosts, Merstham, a 2-0 victory on Saturday.
Ryman League North Division Great Wakering Rovers 1 AFC Sudbury 2
Craig Parker’s second half goal clinched AFC Sudbury a hard-fought win at Great Wakering Rovers to move the Suffolk side back to the top of the league table.
You may also want to watch:
Sudbury took the lead within 90 seconds of the kick-off, Luke Callander finishing a pass from Liam Wales, on the angle.
The home side equalised after 25 minutes when a long throw into the danger area was headed on and Jay Nash levelled.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 7 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 8 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Officers making 'significant progress' in Victoria Hall murder case
Four minutes later only a top class save by Ollie Bowles kept the scores level when he tipped away a header from Tom Ranger.
Some stout Sudbury defending and good saves either side of the interval from Bowles kept the scores level.
Parker headed winner on 58 minutes, Wales again the provider.
Witham Town 2 Wroxham 1
Witham were made to fight for their first league win of the season.
After having an early chance cleared off the line, they took the lead in the 26th minute when Lewis Godbold headed in a corner.
Wroxham equalised well into time added on, courtesy of Jamie Forsham’s penalty.
Witham went back into the lead in the second half when some good play by Danny Emmanuel found Ryan Charles who shot low into the corner.