Ryman League Round-up: Leiston, Bury Town, AFC Sudbury, Heybridge Swifts

Emmanuel Osei

Emmanuel Osei - Credit: Archant

Thamesmead Town 4

Bury Town 2

Despite coming back from a two-goal deficit in the second half, Bury ended their league programme well beaten.

On 15 minutes Bury lost skipper Tom Bullard with a nose injury and the hosts soon took advantage when on 24 minutes Miles Smith lost possession and Carter ran on to beat Garnham.

Thamesmead doubled their lead on 38 minutes when slack defending allowed Tyrus Gordon-Young to slip the ball past Garnham.

You may also want to watch:

Bury started the second half well and reduced the arrears four minutes into the half when a shot by Dunbar was parried by Mott and Roulston netted the rebound.

On 62 minutes Bury drew level when Roulston was allowed a free header from Cunningham`s free-kick.

Most Read

The hosts regained the lead on 74 minutes when Shamir Mullings crashed the ball into the roof of the net after Bury had failed to clear.

Thamesmead were now in control and made sure of the points on 80 minutes when Mullings fired home after Garnham had saved Richard Burtler’s header.

Lewes 5

Leiston 1

Leiston ended their season in a credible ninth position but endured a torrid afternoon on the South Coast.

After a bright opening they then conceded five unanswered goals in a forty minute spell that stunned the Suffolk side.

Chief tormentor was Luke Blewden who grabbed a first half hattrick and opened the scoring on six minutes.

Ledgister sprang Leiston’s attempt at an offside trap forcing Alex Rossis into a save that fell to Blewden to tap into an empty net.

Blewden then doubled the lead five minutes later before Dixon netted the third from another Ledgister cross.

Leiston were stunned but Rhys Henry and Craig Parker both went close with Banks in the home goal twice called into action to thwart Tom Winter and Gareth Heath.

The home side extended their lead when Blewden held off two defenders before clipping beyond Rossis for his hattrick.

The second half was barely a minute old when Wheeler fired home the fifth home goal after Rossis’ clearance fell at his feet.

The visitors handed debuts to 16-year-old Kyran Clements and Jarvis Levett and also to Ryan Noy who replaced Joe Francis early in the game and all three produced accomplished displays.

Late in the game Emmanuel Osei cleverly netted a consolation for Leiston and his first goal of the season.

Division One North

Barkingside 1

AFC Sudbury 4

AFC Sudbury scored two goals in each half to finish the season with a comfortable victory from a game in which the only thing at stake was pride.

Barkingside defended well until Ollie Hughes headed Sudbury into the lead from a right-wing corner on the half-hour.

Four minutes before the break Hughes capitalised on a Barkingside defensive error to score his second of the game with a fine one-on-one finish.

With the wind at their backs in the second half Barkingside had plenty of the play but got little change out of a sound Sudbury rearguard.

Sudbury always looked dangerous on the counter-attack and they increased their lead with a fine strike from Payton Swatman in the 63rd minute.

Sudbury ‘keeper Alex Archer saved well to deny Chris Taylor before the visitors made the game safe in the 78th minute when 17-year-old Jordan Blackwell latched on to a through ball to beat the home ‘keeper with a cool finish.

Two minutes from time Barkingside were rewarded with a consolation goal when Taylor beat Archer at his near post.

Heybridge Swifts FC 6

Redbridge 1

Heybridge Swifts secured third place and a home play-off semi-final on Tuesday with Harlow as they put Redbridge to the sword at Scraley Road.

Chris Bryan netted an early goal on seven minutes with a looping cross that beat the stretching ‘keeper despite only being a matter of feet off his line.

Daniel Francis levelled but that only lasted four minutes as Jamie Guy nodded in from close range from a Bryan cross as Heybridge took a slender lead into the break.

In the second half Ben Newson beat defender Thomas and flew past the ‘keeper to slot home into an empty net.

Newson did something similar for his second eleven minutes later as Heybridge went 4-1 up.

That became five when Danny Barber sent a 25 yard free-kick in off the post in stoppage time. And Newson duly completed his hat-trick as Heybridge ran wild.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter