Ryman League round-up: Leiston suffer back-to-back defeats for the first time this season

Luke Ingram in full flow for Needham

Luke Ingram in full flow for Needham - Credit: Archant

Leiston fell to back-to-back defeats for the first time this season in the Ryman Premier after they were beaten 3-1 at Harrow Borough.

Jack Simmons whips a cross in for Needham at Dulwich

Jack Simmons whips a cross in for Needham at Dulwich - Credit: Archant

Harrow took the lead in the 14th minute when a corner was floated to the back post for Steven Brown to head home.

Joe Francis drew the Blues level after 67 minutes when he slotted the ball past the keeper, following a mix up in the home defence.

Harrow regained their lead with five minutes to play after Sahr Kabba got on the end of a Shaun Preddie cut back.

As Leiston pushed to try and level again, the game was put beyond their reach when Harry Newman found the net, following a confident run from Harrow’s George Nicholas.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Needham Market dropped a place to third in the table after losing 2-0 at Dulwich Hamlet.

Dipo Akinyemi’s 14th minute opener for hosts Hamlet was followed up by Jacob Erskine’s goal one minute from time to inflict back-to-back defeats on the Marketmen.

Most Read

AFC Sudbury remain in 18th after a 4-0 defeat away to Staines Town, while Lowestoft Town moved up to 13th place after Shaun Bammant netted the winner in a 1-0 victory over Leatherhead at Crown Meadow.

In Ryman North, Bury Town slipped to a sixth defeat in a row as Thurrock ran out 4-0 winners to strengthen their own hopes of a play-off place.

Thurrock took the lead on 28 minutes with a stunning strike from distance by Ronnie Winn, which hit the far post and flew in to the opposite corner of the net.

The hosts grabbed their second goal on 39 minutes, Perry Dunn was quickest to react to a free kick into the box and put the ball past Neil O’Sullivan.

Another good attack from the home side on 41 minutes gave Winn his second and put Thurrock three goals to the good at the break.

Substitute Michael Pindy went around O’Sullivan to slot the ball into the empty net to make it 4-0 in the 90th minute.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter