RYMAN NORTH LATEST: Townrow defends Witham Town boss in spat with Needham Market
- Credit: James Ager
Witham Town star Lee Townrow has hit back at what he says is unfair criticism of Spa Road boss Garry Kimble.
Kimble was lambasted by Needham Market manager Mark Morsley after Tuesday night’s Ryman North play-off game that saw Townrow, who is on-loan at Witham from Needham, play against his contracted club.
Witham won 1-0 to reach Sunday’s final with Morsley fuming there was a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ in place, that Townrow should not have played.
“Garry Kimble has done a fantastic job at Witham Town this season,” Townrow said.
“As far as I’m concerned our victory over Needham has been diluted by all the fuss over whether I should have played or not.
“At the end of the day it was 11 v 11 on that pitch on Tuesday.
“We won and I can assure people we wouldn’t be having these conversation, if I’d played but Needham had won.”
Needham were considering appealing the result, but have decided against it with Morsley admitting it has left a ‘sour taste’ and he would be ‘considering his position’ at Bloomfields.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 10 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
For Townrow however, it’s just a case of giving 110% for whichever club he is representing.
“I enjoyed being at Needham Market and always gave my very best,” he added.
“I deserved to play in Tuesday night’s game for Witham. I was always going to play and now we can look forward to Sunday.”
Harlow Town are the visitors to Spa Road this weekend for the Ryman League North play-offs, the winners taking their place in the Ryman Premier Division next season, alongside the likes of Bury Town and Leiston.
“We are really looking forward to it,” Townrow added.
“As I have said, Garry has done a great job with the boys. He’s had a great season and the team has had a great season.”
Townrow’s contract at Needham Market ends this season. But he still has the option of extending it at Bloomfields for another year.
Witham v Harlow, Ryman North play-off final, Spa Road, Sunday, May 4, 3pm