RYMAN NORTH LATEST: Townrow defends Witham Town boss in spat with Needham Market
- Credit: James Ager
Witham Town star Lee Townrow has hit back at what he says is unfair criticism of Spa Road boss Garry Kimble.
Kimble was lambasted by Needham Market manager Mark Morsley after Tuesday night’s Ryman North play-off game that saw Townrow, who is on-loan at Witham from Needham, play against his contracted club.
Witham won 1-0 to reach Sunday’s final with Morsley fuming there was a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ in place, that Townrow should not have played.
“Garry Kimble has done a fantastic job at Witham Town this season,” Townrow said.
“As far as I’m concerned our victory over Needham has been diluted by all the fuss over whether I should have played or not.
“At the end of the day it was 11 v 11 on that pitch on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
“We won and I can assure people we wouldn’t be having these conversation, if I’d played but Needham had won.”
Needham were considering appealing the result, but have decided against it with Morsley admitting it has left a ‘sour taste’ and he would be ‘considering his position’ at Bloomfields.
- 1 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 2 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 3 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 6 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
For Townrow however, it’s just a case of giving 110% for whichever club he is representing.
“I enjoyed being at Needham Market and always gave my very best,” he added.
“I deserved to play in Tuesday night’s game for Witham. I was always going to play and now we can look forward to Sunday.”
Harlow Town are the visitors to Spa Road this weekend for the Ryman League North play-offs, the winners taking their place in the Ryman Premier Division next season, alongside the likes of Bury Town and Leiston.
“We are really looking forward to it,” Townrow added.
“As I have said, Garry has done a great job with the boys. He’s had a great season and the team has had a great season.”
Townrow’s contract at Needham Market ends this season. But he still has the option of extending it at Bloomfields for another year.
Witham v Harlow, Ryman North play-off final, Spa Road, Sunday, May 4, 3pm