Ryman North round-up: Sudbury get back to winning ways as Brightlingsea and Heybridge Swifts claim three points

George Clarke found the net for Sudbury

George Clarke found the net for Sudbury - Credit: Archant

A round-up of all the action in Ryman League Division One North last night, including wins for Sudbury, Brightlingsea and Heybridge Swifts.

AFC Sudbury 4 Tilbury 0

League leaders AFC Sudbury, thumped 4-0 at home by Thurrock last Saturday, returned to winning ways with three second-half goals to end the challenge of plucky Tilbury last night.

George Clarke finally broke the deadlock in the 69th minute as he flicked home from Jordan Blackwell’s cross.

The hosts then made the game safe with two further goals in the last eight minutes.

Liam Wales had only been on the pitch for a minute when he converted a cross from George Clarke to double the lead on 82 minutes, and Ryan Henshaw then added a third with a left-footed shot in the 88th minute to leave Sudbury eight points clear at the top.

Brightlingsea Regent 4 Witham Town 0

Most Read

Four second-half goals won this Essex derby at North Road last night, as sixth-placed Brightlingsea strengthened their play-off bid.

The first half was an even affair, with Witham holding their own, but Regent never looked back from the moment that Phil Kelly nudged them in front inside the first minute of the second period.

Russ Malton doubled Regent’s lead in the 57th minute, chasing onto a long ball forward to supply a cool finish. Jake Clowsley bundled home the third on the hour mark, before Jake Turner netted with a superb free-kick in the 70th minute.

Heybridge Swifts 1 Wroxham 0

An early goal by Tyrone Scarlett was sufficient for Heybridge Swifts to secure another valuable three points, at the expense of Wroxham at Scraley Road last night.

Scarlett netted the only goal of the game in the sixth minute, and Wroxham were reduced to 10 men with Jackson Ramm’s dismissal in the 82nd minute.

Meanwhile, a fantastic late strike by Nnamdi Nwachuku earned Maldon & Tiptree a 1-1 draw against promotion-chasing AFC Hornchurch. Nwachuku’s 20-yard strike, in the 85th minute, was in reply to Alex Bailey’s opener.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter