Sad day for Suffolk golfers
IT was a sad ending to Suffolk men's county golf season when they lost to Lincolnshire in their final Anglian League match of the season at Hintlesham.
By Tony Garnett
IT was a sad ending to Suffolk men's county golf season when they lost to Lincolnshire in their final Anglian League match of the season at Hintlesham. For the second successive year Lincolnshire are champions and Suffolk are runners-up.
Suffolk hopes were high after the foursomes. Alex Holmes and Chris Smith, one up against David Coupland and Richard Latham on the last tee, closed the game out with an eagle down the last. Kevin Eagle and Will Wright, the Rushmere pair, scored a 4 and 3 success against Adam Keogh and Matt Veal.
Adrian Meredith and Jamie Abbott were two down with two to play against Adam Wainwright and Dan Rowland. The Suffolk pair produced a birdie-birdie finish to secure a precious half. The only Lincolnshire foursomes success came from James Crampton and Steve Dixon who were too strong on the day for Michael Swan and Brad Wilkins.
You may also want to watch:
But then Suffolk managed only two wins in the singles. One of them came from Swan, who was seven under par by the time he had beaten Coupland, who played in the Open at Carnoustie this year, 5 and 4. Swan has won all his singles matches this season.
Holmes from Gorleston, restored to the team after a run of lean form, was two down with three to play against Keogh. He then conjured up two birdies and an eagle to win one up.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
SUFFOLK 4.5 LINCOLNSHIRE 7.5
Foursomes (Suffolk names first):
Michael Swan & Brad Wilkins lost to James Crampton & Steve Dixon 6 & 5.
Alex Holmes & Chris Smith beat David Coupland & Richard Latham two up.
Adrian Meredith & Jamie Abbott halved with Adam Wainwright & Dan Rowland.
Kevin Eagle & Will Wright beat Adam Keogh & Matt Veal 4 & 3.
Singles: Wilkins lost to Dixon 4 & 3, Smith lost to Crampton 5 & 4, Swan beat Coupland 5 & 4, Holmes beat Keogh one up, Eagle lost to Wainwright 2 & 1, Meredith lost to Latham 2 & 1, W Wright lost to Veal 3 & 2, Abbott lost to Rowland 2 & 1.
n The Suffolk second team also went down to Lincolnshire seconds at Greetham Valley by seven-and-a-half matches to four-and-a-half.
LINCOLNSHIRE 2nds 7.5
SUFFOLK 2nds 4.5
Foursomes (Lincolnshire names first):
Steve Bracknell & Liam Bell lost to Alex Stanley & Alastair Hall 3 & 2.
Darryl Lloyd & Simon Rickardson beat Andy Collett & Paul Dobson two up.
Dan Keddie & Sam Sharp beat Owen Pearl & Alan Middle 3 & 2.
Gavin Merrison & Richard Over beat Tom Wright & Phil Vincent 4 & 3.
Singles: Bracknell lost to Stanley 3 & 2, Lloyd beat Pearl 4 & 3, Rickardson beat Hall 3 & 2, Bell lost to Vincent 2 & 1, Keddie beat T Wright 6 & 4, Sharp halved with Middle, Merrison lost to Dobson 4 & 3, Over beat Collett 2 & 1.