Sam Newson looks set to leave Needham Market
STRIKER Sam Newson looks likely to leave Needham Market this week.
The 24-year-old hot-shot scored twice in Saturday’s 4-1 win at Redbridge in Ryman League Division One North, and then appeared to confirm the speculation surrounding his future by taking to his Twitter account.
Newson, who joined Needham from Stanway Rovers after the Bloomfields side won the Ridgeons League Premier Division in 2009/10 to earn promotion to the Ryman League, tweeted: “Good win today for NMFC and 2 goals was a decent end to an era.”
This was further fuelled by the club’s own Twitter account tweeting: “End of an era as Sam Newson scores twice in his last appearance for Needham” and shortly afterwards stating: “There will be an announcement soon.”
We understand that although Needham Market have been approached by an unnamed club no deal has yet been struck, and no official announcement will be made until any transfer is completed.
You may also want to watch:
However, Newson was watched by Lowestoft Town a fortnight ago in Needham’s 3-1 defeat at home to Witham Town, and a step up to the join the Trawlerboys in the Ryman League Premier Division appears likely.
Newson originally joined Needham on a two-year contract, but this has since been extended by a further year.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 9 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 10 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
It is almost exactly a year ago that Newson was left “gutted” after he sustained a knee injury the day before he was due to go on trial for four days with League Two side Gillingham.
Newson, who was invited for a trial with the Gills after scoring 29 goals between the start of the season and December, was injured in a 1-0 home defeat to Chatham Town.
After six weeks on the sidelines he struggled to find the back of the net following his return to the team until scoring a hat-trick in Needham’s dramatic 4-3 play-off semi-final victory at Tilbury.
However, the Marketmen lost the final 1-0 at Enfield Town just two days later to remain in Division One North for a third consecutive season.