Sam Newson rescues late point for Needham Market
- Credit: Archant
Heybridge and Needham remain unbeaten in a game that featured a second half injury twist to it.
Swifts made the perfect start on three minutes in very blustery conditions when Taylor Hastings swung over a free kick from 35 yards on the left wing, the ball evaded everyone and flew straight past the Needham keeper Andrew Plummer.
Plummer was kept busy in the visitors’ goal as he saw Ben Newson miss connecting at the far post on ten minutes and then had to claw away a Barber cross before Callander could pounce.
Heybridge could have put the game to bed in the first half and Needham didn’t offer as much in the first half as expected.
Needham just managed to flash a shot wide of the far post from Brown as the second half began before there was an eleven minute delay when referee Russell Howes came over to the physio with an injured groin and was unable to continue.
The delay continued as appeals went out for an emergency linesman whilst one of the official assistants took over the whistle. A qualified Heybridge Swifts Youth Football Club ref came forward and was able to fill in.
Needham found an extra gear after the long delay and became much more physical as they started the battle to equalise.
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 4 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 5 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 6 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
The game entered the last ten minutes and Sam Newson got past Lee Kersey before slipping the ball past Eyre to net the 80th minute equaliser.