U’s stalwart set for landmark appearance
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Sam Walker is poised to make his 200th league appearance for Colchester United, away at Lincoln this afternoon.
Club stalwart Walker, who has been ever-present during the current Football League campaign, as he was for the whole of last season, will therefore become only the third keeper to chalk up 200 league games for the Essex club.
The former Chelsea trainee will join a select band that includes only Mike Walker and Percy Ames for members.
Walker leads the way with a remarkable 451 league appearances for the U’s, with the legendary Ames having turned out 397 times in the league for the former Layer Road outfit.
The consistent Walker was on 156 league appearances for the start of this campaign, and today will be his 44th league outing of 2017-18, and so his 20th in total.
You may also want to watch:
Furthermore, if the 25-year-old plays in the U’s final three games of the season, then it will be the third occasion in which he has been an ever-present in a league campaign, a notable achievement.
His two previous ever-present terms were in 2013-14, and 2016-17.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Here is the run-down of the top six Colchester United goalkeepers, in terms of total league appearances:
1 Mike Walker 451, 2 Percy Ames 397, 3 Sam Walker 199, 4 Carl Emberson 192, 5 Alec Chamberlain 188, 6 George Wright 151