U’s stalwart set for landmark appearance
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Sam Walker is poised to make his 200th league appearance for Colchester United, away at Lincoln this afternoon.
Club stalwart Walker, who has been ever-present during the current Football League campaign, as he was for the whole of last season, will therefore become only the third keeper to chalk up 200 league games for the Essex club.
The former Chelsea trainee will join a select band that includes only Mike Walker and Percy Ames for members.
Walker leads the way with a remarkable 451 league appearances for the U’s, with the legendary Ames having turned out 397 times in the league for the former Layer Road outfit.
The consistent Walker was on 156 league appearances for the start of this campaign, and today will be his 44th league outing of 2017-18, and so his 20th in total.
Furthermore, if the 25-year-old plays in the U’s final three games of the season, then it will be the third occasion in which he has been an ever-present in a league campaign, a notable achievement.
His two previous ever-present terms were in 2013-14, and 2016-17.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 6 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 10 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
Here is the run-down of the top six Colchester United goalkeepers, in terms of total league appearances:
1 Mike Walker 451, 2 Percy Ames 397, 3 Sam Walker 199, 4 Carl Emberson 192, 5 Alec Chamberlain 188, 6 George Wright 151