“Sammie gambled, and it paid off” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, praised match-winner Sammie Szmodics following this afternoon’s 1-0 win at Oldham.
Attacking midfielder Szmodics swept home what proved to be the winner after just two minutes, to set up the platform for this gutsy away win at Boundary Park.
It was the 19-year-old’s fourth goal of the season, and his second in two matches following his consolation at Sheffield United last Tuesday night.
“There have been a lot of games recently where we have started well, but not taken our chances,” explained manager Humes.
“But we took our chance today. Sammie gambled, and it paid off.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought it was a very patient display from the team, and a very confident one. We were very composed with what we did.
“Sammie has scored goals throughout his time at the club, from a very young age. He has always had a knack of scoring goals, and long may that continue.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
“Let’s hope he can go on a scoring run now!” added Humes.