Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 3°C

Kings of Anglia Issue 9 Magazine Offer

Szmodics, Nouble and Norris all on target in U’s win over Red Devils

PUBLISHED: 16:55 13 October 2018 | UPDATED: 17:00 13 October 2018

Sammie Szmodics acknowledges the fans after putting the U's into a 1-0 lead. He is congratulated by Frank Nouble, who went on to score the U's second goal.  Picture: STEVE WALLER    WWW.STEPHENWALLER.COM

Sammie Szmodics acknowledges the fans after putting the U's into a 1-0 lead. He is congratulated by Frank Nouble, who went on to score the U's second goal. Picture: STEVE WALLER WWW.STEPHENWALLER.COM

© Copyright Stephen Waller

Colchester United 3 Crawley Town 1

Luke Norris squanders this early chance in the first half, against Crawley Town this afternoon.  Picture: STEVE WALLER    WWW.STEPHENWALLER.COMLuke Norris squanders this early chance in the first half, against Crawley Town this afternoon. Picture: STEVE WALLER WWW.STEPHENWALLER.COM

Colchester United made it five wins from seven home games this season, as goals from Sammie Szmodics, Frank Nouble and Luke Norris secured an impressive victory over Crawley Town this afternoon.

The U’s broke the deadlock in the 27th minute, thanks to Szmodics’ fifth goal of the campaign.

Courtney Senior delivered a low cross from the left, the ball flashing across the face of goal with Norris helping on for Szmodics to bury a low shot from just a few feet out.

The U’s had chances to add to their lead, but they were pegged back by Crawley’s 40th minute equaliser from the penalty spot.

Luke Gambin seemed to be tripped by Luke Prosser, just inside the penalty area, although referee Trevor Kettle did not give the penalty decision until after consulting with his assistant.

It was a controversial decision, both in terms of whether it was a foul, and whether it was inside or outside the box. Gambin certainly made the most of the incident, but the infringement did appear to be just inside the penalty area.

Filipe Morais, Crawley’s skipper, kept his composure to convert the penalty, with Rene Gilmartin diving the wrong way.

But the hosts regained their lead in the 57th minute, via Nouble’s fourth goal in a Colchester shirt.

Norris was the creator, running menacingly across the face of the penalty area before finding Nouble, and the ex-Ipswich attacker found the back of the net with a deadly accurate first-time shot, from 16 yards out.

Having created the first two goals, Norris then sealed the win himself by smashing home a stunning 20-yarder in the last minute of normal time.

There was a surprise selection, with Gilmartin given his U’s league debut, at the age of 31.

Gilmartin had not actually made a league appearance for nearly six years, since playing for Plymouth in a 0-0 draw against Accrington Stanley on January 26, 2013.

He had made three appearances for the U’s, in the Checkatrade Trophy, including Tuesday night’s 2-0 win over Southend, since his arrival in the summer of 2017.

Crawley threatened first, when defender Bondz N’Gala sent a free header flying over the bar from a third minute corner.

Two minutes later and the U’s were on the attack, prompted by a surging run through the middle from Harry Pell. And it was Pell who got on the end of Frank Nouble’s deep cross, although the midfielder’s downward header was well smothered by keeper Glenn Morris.

Luke Norris nearly managed to squeeze home Courtney Senior’s low cross, on the edge of the six-yard box, in the eighth minute. But the ball eluded him, as he lay on the ground, and the follow-up goal-bound shot by Pell was blocked by a defender.

On the quarter-hour mark, Nouble showed a terrific piece of skill to slip past right-back Lewis Young and dart into the box, from a wide position. His final shot was well blocked by the outstretched boot of centre-half Mark Connolly.

Morris came to his side’s rescue with a fine save on 24 minutes. Pell unleashed a stinging shot, from Szmodics’ lay-off, only for Crawley’s keeper to save well down at his near post.

However, Morris had no chance as Szmodics tucked home from point blank range to put the U’s 1-0 in the 27th minute.

It was so nearly 1-1, just two minutes later, as leading scorer Ollie Palmer’s thunderous header was keep out by an instinctive save from Gilmartin.

It was proving to be a very open game, and defender Tom Eastman lashed in an angled shot which was only just kept out by Morris at his near upright. Morris denied the hosts again, when blocked Norris’ low drive with his legs on 36 minutes.

And Crawley weathered the storm to equalise in the 40th minute, via Morais’ controversial penalty.

Twelve minutes into the second half and the U’s regained the lead, thanks to Nouble’s sublime finish.

Gilmartin did well to get behind a 20-yarder from Dominin Poleon in the 63rd minute, and Red Devils left-back Joe Maguire was then just inches away from an equaliser with a header that flew wide of the far post.

Prosser made a captain’s intervention in the 74th minute, completing a superb goal-line header clearance to prevent Palmer’s towering header from hitting the back of the net, while Szmodics was denied by a diving save from Morris in the 81st minute, and then fired a shot wide with two minutes left.

But Norris did make the game safe with a killer third in the 90th minute.


COLCHESTER: Gilmartin, Jackson, Eastman, Prosser, Vincent-Young (sub Dickenson, 77), Pell (for Wright, 79), Lapslie, Senior (sub Kent, 70), Szmodics, Nouble, Norris. Unused subs: Barnes, Mandron, Kensdale, Collins.

CRAWLEY TOWN: Morris, Young, Connolly, N’Gala, Maguire, Francomb, Morais, Payne (sub McNerney, 85), Gambin (sub Camara, 64), Palmer, Poleon (sub Allarakhia, 76). Unused subs: Mersin, Bulman, Vincelot.

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland)

Attendance: 3,208 (212 away fans)

Mark Heath, Andy Warren and Stuart Watson are back with another episode of the Kings of Anglia podcast.

Trevoh Chalobah was proud to captain England Under 20s in their 2-0 victory over Germany at Colchester on Monday night but has already turned his attention to Ipswich Town’s Friday clash with West Brom.

Ipswich Town left-back Jonas Knudsen says he is ready to talk to other clubs in January.

Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert is clear on his January recruitment strategy following a meeting with owner Marcus Evans yesterday.

In our daily feature, we take a look at what happened on this day in Ipswich Town’s history. Today features John Wark scoring twice in a draw with Swindon, while the Blues progressed in the League Cup.

Ipswich Town assistant manager Stuart Taylor believes the international break has offered the perfect chance for the Blues squad to bond further following the arrival of Paul Lambert.

Ipswich Town midfielder Andre Dozzell believes he is finally back up to speed following his year-long injury absence.

England Under 20s beat Germany 2-0 at Colchester this evening. ANDY WARREN was there to see how Trevoh Chalobah, Andre Dozzell and Flynn Downes got on

Ipswich Town’s Under-23s beat their Crystal Palace counterparts 5-2 at Playford Road this afternoon. STUART WATSON gives his observations.

ANDY WARREN spoke to new Ipswich Town first-team coach Matt Gill about his time at Norwich and his start to life under Paul Lambert at Portman Road.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24