Santos glad he'll not miss festive games
IT doesn't take much to get excited about derby games but Ipswich Town's clash with Norwich City will have an extra edge as both chase automatic promotion.
IT doesn't take much to get excited about derby games but Ipswich Town's clash with Norwich City will have an extra edge as both chase automatic promotion, writes Derek Davis.
The Blues hard-fought scoreless draw at Millwall keeps them fourth and just four points behind the Canaries whose win against Cardiff City maintains their second spot.
The East Anglian rivals meet on Sunday in a mid-day fixture with both looking for the perfect Christmas present and bragging rights lasting until at least March.
Blues defender Georges Santos is delighted he won't be missing the game although he faces a two-match ban after being dismissed for two bookings at the New Den.
You may also want to watch:
It was his fifth red card since arriving in England four years ago but he believes it was the most unfair of his career here and in France.
The Frenchman, who was returning to action after missing the Derby County game through a one-match ban for five bookings, was dismissed for a second yellow when he was deemed to have obstructed Kevin Braniff just inside the Ipswich half.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 3 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 6 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 7 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 8 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 9 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 10 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
He had earlier been booked for a foul on Peter Sweeney which he had no complaints about but was livid at the second caution six minutes after the break.
He said: “That was the worst decision that has gone against me in my life.
“I did not touch him. I put my hands up to show I was not going to touch him and he ran straight into me.
I didn't even try to make a challenge. It was disgraceful.”
A sending off for two bookings would normally incur a one match ban but as he has already been suspended once this season Santos fears he may miss two games, which would be Crystal Palace on December 28 and the FA Cup tie with Derby County on January 3, both at Portman Road.
But he will be free to play against Norwich on Sunday and West Ham at Upton Park, the following Friday.
He said: “At least that is something. I'm looking forward to it like everyone else. Playing against Norwich here means such a lot to the fans.
“It will be another big game against West Ham and this is a
critical time of the season for us.”
Richard Naylor travelled with the squad at the weekend and should be fully fit in time to step back into defence when Santos is banned, while Drissa Diallo is still a little way from full fitness.