Schools' teams produce a clean sweep
SUFFOLK Schools' teams swept the board in the English Schools' Golf Association South East Championship at Letchworth.Suffolk won the boys and girls individual titles and also the boys' team championship.
SUFFOLK Schools' teams swept the board in the English Schools' Golf Association South East Championship at Letchworth.
Suffolk won the boys and girls individual titles and also the boys' team championship. Hugo Dobson of Woodbridge School had a 36-hole total of 141, one under par for the day on a tight, tricky tree-lined course. He ended six shots ahead of Will Chambers of Hertfordshire.
The practice round was abandoned because the course was waterlogged. Dobson's opening round of 69 was followed by a second round of 72. They were a tribute to his course management and short game skills.
You may also want to watch:
Heidi Baek (Kesgrave High School) had rounds of 73 and 74 to end 10 shots ahead of runner-up Georgina Kilby of Essex. Her meticulous preparation contributed to her expected and emphatic victory.
The Suffolk boys' team of Dobson, Patrick Spraggs (Framlingham College), Sam Forgan (Stowmarket HS) and Tom Stephenson (Thurston Community College) was the strongest team in the field. They held a two-shot lead over Essex after the first round and solid second round scores of 74 from Forgan and 76 from Stephenson saw them have a clear margin of five shots. Spraggs had a morning round of 77 which proved important. Adam Woodhead (Sudbury Upper) and Callum Monk (Kirkley HS) also played on an individual basis.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
Dobson will be unable to take his place in the English Schools' national finals because of a clash with the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters Championship at Nizels Golf Club, near Sevenoaks on June 28 and 29. Suffolk will be represented by Sam Forgan and Heidi Baek in the English Schools' finals at The Kendalshire on June 30. Tom Stephenson is a reserve.
The Suffolk Schools' area championships will be: South: June 26 at Waldringfield, North: July 1 at Diss, West: July 7 at Stoke by Nayland. The Suffolk Schools' Championship will be at Rushmere on October 16.