Sears rescues a point for the U’s
Colchester United 1 Carlisle United 1
Freddie Sears rescued a point for Colchester United in an entertaining League One clash at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this evening.
The U’s were caught cold by a fourth minute rocket from Matty Robson, which flew into the net from 25 yards out.
Chances came and went, but the U’s finally grabbed the equaliser in the 71st minute, thanks to a clinical strike by Sears.
Gavin Massey did well to control Sanchez Watt’s high cross and slide into the path of Sears, who smashed home first time for his second goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Substitute Alex Gilbey nearly grabbed an 80th minute winner, but his goal-bound header was diverted over the bar by keeper Mark Gillespie, who had a fine night for the Cumbrians.
Earlier, Tosin Olufemi had come close to capping his full debut with a goal, although his first-half shot flew back off the bar.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 3 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 5 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 6 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 7 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 8 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 9 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
- 10 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
The U’s would have risen into the top two, with a victory, but in the end they ahd to make do with a point.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Olufemi, David Wright (sub Gilbey, 63), Eastmond, Massey, Sears, Watt (sub Drey Wright, 85), Ibehre. Unused subs: Cousins, Thompson, Morrison, Bond, Bean.
CARLISLE: Gillespie, Livesey, Butterfield, Black, Potts, Amoo (sub Symington, 90+2), Thirlwell, Noble (sub Guy, 76), Berrett, Robson (sub Gillies, 86), Miller. Unused subs: Fleming, Feely, Campbell, Beck.
Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)