Sears set the tone with goal after just 16 seconds
Ipswich Town went into tonight’s 2-1 win at Fulham looking for a fast start, but even goalscorer Freddie Sears hadn’t dreamed of coming out the blocks quite so quickly.
After the hosts kicked off, the Blues won the ball back before Sears surged through the middle of the Fulham defence to slot into Andy Lonergan’s bottom left corner after just 16 seconds, sending the 2,500 travelling fans wild.
Ross McCormack levelled 15 minutes later before Brett Pitman won the game for the Blues in the second half, with Sears insisting his side’s fast start set the tone for the rest of the game.
“It was a great start, the gaffer wanted us to start fast but I don’t think he would have imagined we would start as fast as that,” he said.
“It was obviously my first few touches of the ball and it was a great start for us which set the tone early on.
You may also want to watch:
“First half it was hard work, very open and end to end at times so the gaffer told us we should try and put a stop to that. We don’t want it too open, it’s hard work when it’s open.
“In the end we got to grips with it and we got the three points.”
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 6 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 10 Long queues at Primark from 7am in Ipswich as lockdown eases
The former West Ham man was also pleased to be able to lay on the winning goal, as his cross from the left allowed Pitman to sweep the ball home.
“I’m playing a bit wider at the moment so assists are something I want to help the team with too. I managed to get the ball in from the left hand side, Brett’s put it in and he got us the winner.”