Seasiders bid to spring upset in Suffolk Premier Cup final
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Manager Ian Watson is not too concerned by his Felixstowe & Walton United side’s four-match losing streak ahead of this season’s KBB NEFF Suffolk Premier Cup Final, writes Nick Garnham.
Felixstowe & Walton United take on higher-league Leiston, who are also the holders, in the final at Portman Road tomorrow, kick-off 7.30pm.
The Seasiders enjoyed a successful first season in Bostik League North, ending a respectable 11th after a sixth-placed finish appeared a possibility, but lost all of their final four fixtures.
Watson said: “To be honest, in only one of the four – against Coggeshall Town – did we deserve to get anything out of the game.
“For all four games we had a few injuries and knocks and wanted to rotate the squad in order for them to get game time and keep everyone fit for the cup final, and the players probably had one eye on the final themselves. If you forget the last four games we have still had a good season in our first year at this level.”
You may also want to watch:
Opponents Leiston endured a terrible run-in, failing to register a single win in their last 11 league games to slip to one place above the relegation zone in the Evo-Stik League Premier Division Central.
Watson said: “Both sides will be going into the final after a poor run of league results, but it’s a one-off game and both sides like to play football. They won the cup last year and will be favourites to win it again, but we are going there to enjoy ourselves and give them a good game.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 4 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 Warnock on Town target Coulson's absence from Middlesbrough squad