Seasiders beaten by Witham despite being the better side
- Credit: Archant
Isthmian North Witham Town 3 Felixstowe & Walton 1 Sometimes a team loses a game and they thoroughly deserve to lose. For Felixstowe, this wasn’t one of those games, writes Barry Grossmith.
There was a start for Stowmarket loanee Sam Nunn for the Seasiders, with Kyle Jopling dropping to the bench. Felixstowe also saw Nick Ingram in the number 10 role and George Clarke up front.
Miles Powell's early free kick found Callum Bennett crossing for Clarke and this was followed by a Henry Barley/Jack Newman effort, confirming that it was the visitors who were making the early chances.
Scott Kemp was lively for Witham as the Essex side tried to get a foothold but as half-time approached, it was undoubtedly Felixstowe who were going to the break a little disappointed not to be in front.
But with just seconds on the clock, a Kemp cross brought a save from Danny Crump in goal, only for Marcus Bowers to scramble the rebound over the line.
You may also want to watch:
That lapse in concentration on 45 minutes was repeated within just ten seconds of the restart when George Bugg doubled Witham's lead after Crump was found caught unawares between the sticks.
What then transpired was The Seasiders being forced to chase the game and leaving themselves vulnerable to the counter attack throughout the entire second period.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 5 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 8 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 9 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 10 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
After hitting the post and seeing a Ingram effort, which looked for all the world as if it was going in, bounce off Clarke's back before going wide, Witham netted their third and Bugg's second in a one-on-one with six minutes to play.
Powell reduced the deficit with a solo effort two minutes later by which time it was far too late. The Seasiders go again tomorrow when they entertain high-flying Maldon & Tiptree at The Goldstar Ground.
Speaking after the game, Felixstowe manager Stuart Boardley said, "On balance, I thought we were the better side. The pitch and conditions made it difficult to pass the ball but it was really just three lapses for their goals.
"We need better game management. It didn't fall for us first half but make no mistake, the players have a good attitude."