Seasiders welcome Coggeshall for potential Thurlow Premier title decider
- Credit: Archant
All roads lead to the Goldstar Ground this evening when Felixstowe & Walton United go head-to-head with Coggeshall Town, as the battle for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title goes into the final week of the season, writes Phil Griffiths.
The scenario is well laid out and objectives clear for both clubs, who are already promoted to the Bostik League.
It’s not quite winner-takes-all although Coggeshall, who head the table by one point from Felixstowe, will be crowned champions should they win.
Any other result will see the title chase go to the final day when Felixstowe travel to Haverhill Rovers and Coggeshall host third-placed Stowmarket Town.
It’s the culmination of five years’ work for joint manager Kevin O’Donnell, who together with Ian Watson, firstly as his assistant and now joint manager, have put a squad together that are finally on the brink of achieving the title after finishing runners-up last season, and have never sat outside the top five during O’Donnell’s tenure.
You may also want to watch:
It will be an equally huge achievement for the visitors, who have had a meteoric rise from junior football in the Essex & Suffolk Border League to where they find themselves tonight.
All the ingredients for a real nail-biter are there - Felixstowe won the reverse fixture back in August, halting Coggeshall’s six match winning start to the season, to head the table, where they remained until the end of March when Coggeshall overtook them as Felixstowe dropped vital home points with three successive defeats.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 6 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
A home win would see the Seasiders regain top spot and take the title race into the final day.
The visitors will be smarting from their weekend defeat at Newmarket that halted their 11-match winning run, while the home side will be defending their own seven-match winning run without conceding a goal.
Coggeshall, who have popstar Ollie Murs as a main sponsor and co-owner, have lost just three times away from home and boast by far the best goal difference in the division, plus being the second-highest goalscorers nationwide at Step 5.
Kick-off is at 7.45pm.