Second home stalemate for United
Colchester 0 Coventry 0COLCHESTER United had to be content with a second successive Layer Road stalemate after a rather drab game against mid-table Coventry City.
By Carl Marston
Colchester 0 Coventry 0
COLCHESTER United had to be content with a second successive Layer Road stalemate after a rather drab game against mid-table Coventry City.
There had been no goalless draw at Layer Road this season until the 0-0 draw against Burnley at the end of last month, and history repeated itself in a game of very few chances this afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Iwelumo came the closest to breaking the deadlock for the U's, but it was the Sky Blues who looked the more likely winners in the second period, not least when Dean Gerken performed heroics to claw away Stephen Hughes' thunderbolt in the 56th minute.
The U's did not actually have a shot on target throughout the afternoon, and Coventry only had a couple. It was an instantly forgettable game.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
United now have 53 points, but have only won twice in 12 games since the turn of the year. They have testing trips to Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton next week.