Senior Cup round-up: Cranes, Achilles and Capel Plough progress to semi-finals
- Credit: James Ager
Ryan Bedingfield was the Cranes hero on Saturday, saving three spot kicks against AFC Sudbury Reserves in the penalty shootout to send the SIL side through to the Suffolk Senior Cup semi-finals.
In a fiercely-contested game which saw 10 yellow cards and two reds, there was little to choose between the sides.
The game remained goalless into extra time, and the deadlock was finally broken right at the end of the first period when Fuller forced the ball home at the back post to give Sudbury the lead.
Frustrations were growing for Cranes and, having already had seven players yellow carded, Nathan Woolard received a straight red for pushing over Joe Wright.
Callum Watson could have extended the lead only for his chip to come back off the post, but Lyndon Dowson-Alexander forced spot kicks with four minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Harry Cole was then sent off for Cranes, but Bedingfield’s heroics took them home.
Elsewhere, Achilles trounced Bramford United 6-1, away from home, with Liam Hillyard scoring four goals.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
Bramford missed an early penalty, before Lee Grimwood gave Achilles the lead.
The hosts equalised courtesy of an own goal, but from thenon in, the game was dominated by Achilles.
Hillyard got his first of the afternoon in the 21st minute, with a powerful shot, before tapping in another goal on 33 minutes, and scoring a penalty on the stroke of half-time.
The striker scored his final goal after 65 minutes, before Gavin Van Oene added a sixth with a late penalty.
Capel Plough will also be in the Suffolk Senior Cup semi-finals after defeating Leiston St Margarets 2-0.
This was a hard-fought win which saw both sides end up with 10 men, following the late sending-offs of Dan Keeble and Barrett.
Capel took the lead after 20 minutes, Baldwin collected a long throw from Wall and fired into the top corner via a deflection.
It was 2-0 five minutes later, when Webb headed home a Morrison cross.
Tane Backhouse, Luke Croager, Daniel Knights, and Jamie Spatchett all went close for Saints, but it was Capel who progressed.