Seven reasons to be cheerful or grumpy about Colchester United’s new fixture list
Here are seven things we learned about today’s publication of the League Two fixtures for the new 2016-17 season, with regards Colchester United.
October is a month to fill the car with petrol, several times! The U’s face a long journey to Carlisle on October 1, and end it at the other end of the country, down in Plymouth on October 29.
Never recall opening day nightmares on your twitter feed, an hour before the next fixtures are released.
You may also want to watch:
I did this morning, recalling the U’s dreadful 4-2 defeat at Hartlepool on day one of the 2008-09 season …. an hour later, it was revealed that the U’s will begin the coming season away at ….. Hartlepool!
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 3 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 6 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 7 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
New ground. The U’s will visit Barnet’s new The Hive Stadium on September 17
Another new ground. The U’s will pay their first visit to Morecambe on Easter Monday, April 17.
I’m not particularly looking forward to the fortnight spanning the end of January and beginning of February, 2017. The U’s are down in Devon at Exeter on January 21, and on the north-west coast at Blackpoool on February 4.
The U’s hit the road over the festive period, but you could almost walk to these grounds … almost ….. Luton on Boxing Day, Stevenage on New Year’s Eve.
Good omen. The U’s last clinched promotion, against Yeovil on the final day of the 2005-06 campaign. They end next season against Yeovil. So promotion is guaranteed!