Shamed bowler Mohammad Amir signs for Essex
- Credit: PA
Disgraced bowler Mohammad Amir is to join newly-promoted Essex for the second half of the 2017 season.
The left-arm seamer, who has 140 international wickets to his name across all formats, will arrive following the conclusion of the ICC Champions Trophy, which is being staged in England, and will be available from June 19 in both the Specsavers County Championship and NatWest T20 Blast.
Amir returned to the sport in September 2015 having been banned for five years for spot-fixing after bowling no balls to order in the Lord’s Test against England in 2010, an offence for which he was also handed a six-month prison term.
“I am very excited about becoming part of the Essex family,” the Pakistan fast bowler, 24, told Essex’s official website.
“(Head coach) Chris Silverwood and Ronnie Irani have both been very supportive over the summer.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m hoping I can carry on Essex’s success this season and achieve more for the club in 2017.”
Silverwood added: “We are thrilled that Mohammad has decided to join us for half of the 2017 campaign. He showed a real desire to be a part of the club and the fact we have him for two competitions is a real bonus.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw