Leiston swoop to sign Cambridge City striker Sharman as two more former Leiston players head to Stowmarket
- Credit: Archant
Leiston have swooped to sign Cambridge City striker Ryan Sharman.
The 24-year-old joins the Victory Road club after agreeing terms with them this week.
Sharman played at Soham and joined Cambridge City in December 2016, and made a big impact during the 2017/18 season as he was the club leading scorer.
Despite not repeating his scoring feats of the previous campaign, Sharman was still an ever present in the City squad last season.
"I'm really looking forward to joining Leiston," Sharman said.
"I've been speaking to Stuart (Boardley), the manager for a while and I'm good friends with Byron Lawrence who plays there.
"He's told me nothing but good things about the running of the club, the set-up and it's a good place to play.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 East Suffolk Council to form new company to deliver services after Norse contract ends
- 3 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 4 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
- 5 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 8 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 9 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 10 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
"For me, it's a chance to step up a level. That's what I want to do, play as high as I can.
"I did get lots of goals the season before but was played a bit wider last year and got 13, which was ok. I'm looking forward to the challenge."
Sharman's signing has left Blues boss Stuart Boardley delighted.
"Ryan is different to what we have got at the moment and I'm glad to get him because we have been trailing him for a while," he said.
"He's proved himself at Step 4. He can score goals and got 30+ the season before last.
"I'm delighted he is joining us."
Leiston have seen a number of senior players move on this summer as Boardley rebuilds his squad and he remains excited about the future.
"There are more signings to come in the next few weeks," he added.
"It's a rebuilding process and a bit of a blank canvass but I'm excited by it all.
"Apart from adding players like Ryan, we have retained the nucleus of our younger players as well, which is important."
Meanwhile former Leiston players Christy Finch and Dominic Doherty have joined Stowmarket, as has George Clarke, who was with Brantham last season.