Shell-shocked Colchester United boss Tony Humes gives his verdict
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester United boss Tony Humes blasted his side’s woeful defending after this afternoon’s 4-1 defeat at Millwall.
The U’s were sunk by goals from Lee Gregory (13 minutes), Shane Ferguson (38 and 63) and Byron Webster (82), with Chris Porter replying for the visitors in the 54th minute.
“It was basic defending,” rued shell-shocked boss Humes, with reference to mistakes from Tom Eastman and George Elokobi for Millwall’s first two goals.
Humes continued: “They were experienced defenders, and it was basic defending. There were defensive mistakes out there.
“They don’t make these mistakes in training, but I don’t really know what to say.
You may also want to watch:
“It was basic, it was so basic that it was untrue!
“It’s so frustrating, it’s untrue, and I’m sure it’s the same for the players.
- 1 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 7 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 8 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 9 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 10 Is this the most perfect pizza in Suffolk?
“We’ve got a lot of talented players out there who are capable of creating and scoring goals.
“But with the amount we are conceding, I’m sure they get disillusioned,” added Humes.
The U’s have now conceded 41 goals in 18 league games, and have taken just four points from a possible 24 in their last eight fixtures.
They entertain fellow strugglers Crewe on Tuesday evening.