Shell-shocked Colchester United boss Tony Humes gives his verdict
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester United boss Tony Humes blasted his side’s woeful defending after this afternoon’s 4-1 defeat at Millwall.
The U’s were sunk by goals from Lee Gregory (13 minutes), Shane Ferguson (38 and 63) and Byron Webster (82), with Chris Porter replying for the visitors in the 54th minute.
“It was basic defending,” rued shell-shocked boss Humes, with reference to mistakes from Tom Eastman and George Elokobi for Millwall’s first two goals.
Humes continued: “They were experienced defenders, and it was basic defending. There were defensive mistakes out there.
“They don’t make these mistakes in training, but I don’t really know what to say.
“It was basic, it was so basic that it was untrue!
“It’s so frustrating, it’s untrue, and I’m sure it’s the same for the players.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 5 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following MK Dons victory
- 9 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
“We’ve got a lot of talented players out there who are capable of creating and scoring goals.
“But with the amount we are conceding, I’m sure they get disillusioned,” added Humes.
The U’s have now conceded 41 goals in 18 league games, and have taken just four points from a possible 24 in their last eight fixtures.
They entertain fellow strugglers Crewe on Tuesday evening.