Should all Ipswich Town and Newcastle United games be for the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy?
- Credit: Archant
It was a day which united and was celebrated by fans of two clubs hundreds of miles apart – but does Sir Bobby Robson Day have to be a one off?
After the success of Ipswich Town’s bumper event on Easter Monday, when the Blues beat Newcastle United 3-1 in a clash of Sir Bobby’s two most-loved teams, some have been left wondering if there is an appetite for a regular celebration between the two sides.
The day was thoroughly enjoyed by both sets of fans who still revere their former manager.
Now the suggestion has been made for any meeting between the East Anglian and North East clubs, or a regular friendly, to become a battle for the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy – possibly in aid of charity.
A similar situation exists when Nottingham Forest and Derby County meet – they play for the Brian Clough Trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Although such an idea is at an early stage, there is support from the clubs for ways to continue marking Sir Bobby’s legacy.
Ipswich Town press officer Jonny Ogle said: “The club would certainly consider competing for the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy, or something similar, each time we faced Newcastle United.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 3 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
“We encourage suggestions from supporters and, given the link between the two clubs regarding Sir Bobby, this is an idea we would be in favour of.
“Obviously this is dependent on Newcastle agreeing and being subject to clearance and ratification from the relevant authorities, but it is something we would be happy to discuss and plan further with Newcastle.
“Future fixtures could be used to help raise funds for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation – a charity we support fully.”
Wendy Taylor, head of media at Newcastle United, said: “Certainly Newcastle United would be delighted to have discussions about how best we continue to mark our clubs’ shared love for Sir Bobby Robson who was a great, great man in both our clubs’ history.”
Liz Edwards, chairman of the Ipswich Town Supporters’ Club, said the idea of a match in Sir Bobby’s memory was not a new one but the idea of a trophy for a league game “doesn’t seem to add to what we already have done”.
However she added: “But if a pre-season could somehow be agreed each year with Newcastle, then perhaps the proceeds of the game could go to Sir Bobby’s Foundation,” also saying a Suffolk charity could also benefit.