SIL league representative side enjoy debut cup win
TWO second half goals from substitute Craig Jennings helped the SIL league representative side clinch a comfortable 4-0 victory over Bedfordshire in their first ever appearance in the FA Inter-League Cup.
The preliminary round encounter saw a comfortable home win with Grundisburgh pair Luke Reid and Mical Moore striking in the first half and the Ipswich Athletic man notching a late brace.
After a shaky first ten minutes, the SIL settled. Alexander-Dowson beat two defenders in the area but the ball ran away from him before Reid opened the scoring on 13 minutes when a hopeful high ball towards goal was touched in.
Two minutes later Reid hit the bar with a header from a Bevis free kick and as the SIL pushed forward the Beds keeper miskicked a clearance to Andy Crump but he steered the ball wide of the post.
Jones, for the visitors, shot wide in a rare attack before the SIL increased their lead. Alexander-Dowson crossed low for Moore to tuck the ball in from close range. T
You may also want to watch:
wo minutes later Daniel Crump made an excellent save from a Jones volley before Alexander-Dowson shot from long range only for the ball to hit the inside of the post and rebound into play.
The visitors were finding the SIL defence solid and D Crump had little to do in the second half. However, brother Andy had a header come back off the post before substitute Jennings finished off a good move to score a third on 68 minutes with Cunningham and Crump involved. T
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 5 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 6 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 9 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
he visitors had some good possession in the second half but did not have the cutting edge and it was Jennings who scored a fourth on 87 minutes when Ross Rands crossed for him to secure a deserved win and passage through to the first round proper.
It was the first time the SIL had entered the competition, which is limited to leagues at Step 7 of the National League System. They now face either Kent or the Reading League in September at home.
Lyndon Alexander-Dowson, Matt Cunningham, Mical Moore, Luke Reid (Grundisburgh), Liam Bevis, Tom Childs, Guy Clubb, Tom Parker, Ross White, Ross Rands (Ransomes), Lee Bloom (Old Newton), Andy Crump, Daniel Crump (Felixstowe Utd), Craig Jennings, Scott Marjoram (c) and Alan Mills (Ipswich Athletic).