SIL round-up: Achilles go top as Henley crush leaders Wenhaston 5-0
- Credit: Archant
Achilles’ 4-1 victory over Grundisburgh took them to the top of the SIL Senior Division after leaders Wenhaston and second place Felixstowe Harpers both faltered.
Achilles took the lead after 10 minutes when Lee Grimwood dribbled past the Grundisburgh keeper to place the ball into an empty net.
In an entertaining first half, goalkeepers Shaun Chaplin for Achilles and Callum Deacon for the visitors made excellent saves – especially Deacon at the feet of David Grimwood – and the score remained 1-0 at half-time.
Achilles extended their lead after 55 minutes, Gavin Van Oene controlled a through ball from Lee Grimwood and calmly picked his spot as Deacon scrambled to narrow his angles.
Further goals by Sean Hanley and Lee Grimwood made the game safe for Achilles, but Grundisburgh came back strongly, forcing three top class saves from Chaplin before finally Josh Cook headed in a deserved consolation.
You may also want to watch:
Henley swept aside league leaders Wenhaston Utd 5-0 with a fine display of slick passing football.
They took the lead after eight minutes, Bevis picked out Smythe wide right, he sent in an inch perfect cross for White to head home at the back post for 1-0.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 7 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
It was 2-0 on 40 minutes when Bevis who calmly took a touch and slotted home from six yards.
Within a minute of the restart Bruce volleyed into the bottom corner from 20 yards for 3-0. He made it 4-0, before Field added the fifth.
Elsewhere, Capel Plough beat Bramford United 2-1, skipper Stephen Morrison scoring the winner deep in injury time.
Daniel Alderson had given Plough the lead just after half-time before Ben Goodchild grabbed a fine equaliser just 12 minutes from the end. But, in the second minute of injury time, Morrison let fly with a thunderous 45-yard shot which was worthy of winning any game.
Meanwhile, Westerfield United claimed a 2-0 win away at Coplestonians. Nick Woolnough and Marcus Taylor scored the goals in a game the away side dominated.