SIL round-up: AFC Hoxne and Westerfield United share points in a thriller
AFC Hoxne and Westerfield United shared the points in a six-goal thriller in the SIL Senior Division.
A deep cross from Shaine De’ath was headed in by Lee Tricker for Hoxne, who doubled their lead when Bobby Varela curled in from the edge of the box.
But Westerfield pulled one back on the stroke of half-time when Ian Gosling took Wade’s pass in his stride before firing past Warren.
In a frenetic last few minutes Luke Dunn equalised and then Isaac Keinzley put the visitors ahead.
De’ath then received a straight red but deep into stoppage time Ryan Gardiner gained Hoxne a point, firing in from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Leiston St Margarets and Henley Athletic drew 1-1. After 20 minutes it was Leiston who took the lead, Sheppard gave away a free kick on the edge of the area which was superbly curled home into the very top corner by Daniel Knights, leaving Holland helpless.
Within five minutes the scores were level when Lambert brought Caraccio down in the box and Clark Bruce slammed home the subsequent penalty.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 7 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 8 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Officers making 'significant progress' in Victoria Hall murder case
Time and again Henley came close but either lacked the final finish or were denied by brave defending.
With just under 20 minutes left Henley were reduced to 10 men when McGlone received two yellow cards in under a minute. If anything this inspired the visitors to even greater efforts but they found Lambert and his defence impassable on the day.
Meanwhile, Capel Plough and Ransomes Sports also drew 1-1. The visitors scored a late equaliser to snatch a point after being outplayed for long periods by the home team who missed several chances and for the third time in a week had to settle for a draw.
The home side pushed forward and took the lead after 15 minutes when Anthony Jackson beat two men and Joe Whitley converted his cross from close range.
But with two minutes remaining Nial Vidal equalised with a free-kick from 20 yards giving Aaron Beal in the home goal no chance as the ball flew into the top corner.