SIL round-up: Grundisburgh win basement clash against Ipswich Athletic
- Credit: Archant
Grundisburgh beat relegation rivals Ipswich Athletic 4-1 in a massive game in the SIL Senior Division on Saturday.
The result lifted Grundisburgh out of the relegation zone, leapfrogging Westerfield United, while Athletic now sit nine points short of safety.
Chances came and went for both sides before Athletic took the lead on 28 minutes, Marcus Josiah put a wonderful ball through to Konar Murray, whose shot was well-saved by Jamie Lloyd, but Jordan Crane had time to shoot into the net from 20 yards.
It was level on 41 minutes when Josh Cook was fouled, and David Thurkettle’s fierce free-kick was spilled by Sam Ruse, allowing Luke Reid to tap home.
Rene Swann missed two opportunities for Grundisburgh, and then a Josh Lytess free-kick was tipped onto the bar by Lloyd.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Bradlaugh’s cracking 25-yard free-kick gave Grundisburgh the lead, which they extended, but not before Swann missed a penalty.
Sub Luke Boggis scored the third in the 77th minute, before Swann sealed the win, as Shaine De’ath was then sent off for Athletic.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
Coplestonians recorded a good win on Saturday, defeating Stanton 5-1.
Cops took the lead on 31 minutes when Tim Street’s crossfield ball was curled in by James Harris for Michael Velzian to head home.
Ryan Skipp hit the Cops woodwork from a free-kick, before Adams made a series of stunning saves to deny Jordan Godbold and Harris. Godbold then played in Street who fired home to give Cops a 2-0 half time lead.
After the break, Street hit the bar, with the ball rebounding to Godbold who volleyed home.
Leitao then scored from close range to make it 4-0 as he bundled home Godbold’s corner.
Stanton had a better spell and were rewarded when substitute Jake Peasgood lobbed home to reduce the arrears, but Godbold smartly made it 5-1 late on.
The other Senior Division game on Saturday saw Felixstowe Harpers beat Wenhaston United 5-3 in an eight-goal thriller.
In Division One, Sporting ‘87 defeated promotion rivals AFC Hoxne 3-0 in a huge game.
Benhall moved up to third with a 5-1 win over Trimley Red Devils, while leaders Claydon won 2-1 at Trimley Athletic.