SIL round-up: Stanton in trouble at bottom; Tight at top in Division One
- Credit: Archant
A late goal from substitute Ronaldo Wright gave relegated Ipswich Athletic their first victory since the end of August, 1-0, and, in doing so, dropped out-of-form Stanton into the SIL Senior Division relegation zone.
The game started in whirlwind fashion with chances galore in the opening 10 minutes. Michael Campbell went clear three times for the home side only to be twice denied by keeper Sam Ruse, before blazing the other chance wide.
Things settled down for a while before Campbell hit the post and had the rebound cleared off the line by Gianluca Urso.
The second period proved less eventful in terms of chances with Campbell kept largely under control.
Play was disrupted by a series of disputes between the sides which were to boil over at the final whistle and Lytess missed a sitter when a mistake by Rhys Banfield presented him with the ball four yards out.
You may also want to watch:
The introduction of Wright pepped up Athletic and he took advantage of another error to fire home off the post for the only goal of the game on 77 minutes.
Try as they might Stanton failed to trouble the Athletic defence further before more scuffles between the sides broke out after the game.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
Elsewhere, Scott Fryer and Alex Stocker scored for East Bergholt United as they defeated Felixstowe Harpers 2-1 at home.
Lewis Culf scored in the last minute of the game as Westerfield United grabbed a crucial 1-0 victory over fellow strugglers Wenhaston, to climb out of the drop-zone at the expense of Stanton.
In the day’s other game in the Senior Division, hosts Leiston St Margarets beat Haughley United, 1-0.
In Division One, AFC Hoxne moved up to third, two points behind the top-two, after defeating second-placed Sporting ‘87, 1-0, in a close game.
Sporting are on 53 points but are off the top due to an inferior goal difference.
The leaders now are Benhall St Mary who, with a game in hand on Hoxne and Sporting, defeated visitors Stowupland Falcons, 7-1.
Claydon can still win promotion but will be considered outsiders, Kenny Kennedy’s side are four points off the top-two with two games to go, after their 2-1 defeat at Bacton United ‘89