SIL Senior Division round-up: Plenty of draws as action kicks off

Tye Webb was on target for Felixstowe Harpers

Tye Webb was on target for Felixstowe Harpers - Credit: James Ager

Action got underway in the SIL this weekend with some entertaining clashes in the Senior Division.

Benhall went away to Bramford and the game was end-to-end with Shane Hambling making some early runs at the Bramford defence and hitting the bar.

38 minutes in the deadlock was broken with Leigh Bailey crossing the ball to the far post and picking out Shane Hambling, who volleyed home for Benhall.

With half-time approaching Bramford made it 1-1 from close range. Then five minutes into the second half Bramford went ahead to stay. They were awarded a free kick which they took full advantage of, reacting quickly to a rebound off the wall and scoring. Benhall battled bravely, but couldn’t find the equaliser.

Elsewhere, Westerfield United and East Bergholt United shared a 1-1 draw.

You may also want to watch:

From Heathcote’s free kick Fryer lost his marker to head into the bottom corner and give the away side the lead. Westerfield equalised when P Seward volleyed in from the edge of the box.

There was a draw too at Capel, as Plough and Grundisburgh shared the spoils in a four-goal clash. Both teams fielded new signings with the visitors having the first chances with Prime and Churchyard having shots saved by Beal, while at the other end Deacon saved efforts from Jackson and Colllins with little to choose between the sides. Grundisburgh took the lead after 35 minutes when Rene Swan fired home from the edge of the area. He scored again three minutes later, slotting home a cross from Griggs to put the visitors two goals up.

Most Read

Nick Middlebrook pulled a goal back after being put through by Page ten minutes after the restart before Harry Parkes was sent off for violent conduct after an hour’s play.

The home team equalised after 75 minutes when a cross from Tom Barnes was back headed into his own net by a defender.

Coplestonians and Leiston St Margarets finished 1-1. Tom Keetch scored for Leiston, before Michael Velzian’s deflected shot got Cops level.

Finally, Felixstowe Harpers saw off Haughley United 3-1. Tye Webb, Ben Taylor and Gary Bradlaugh scored for the home side, while Gazza Coplen got a consolation for Haughley.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus