SIL round-up: Champs Crane Sports and contenders Achilles both start with wins, Godbold fires a hat-trick
- Credit: Archant
The SIL Senior Division got under way on Saturday with wins for reigning champions Crane Sports, plus perennial title contenders Achilles.
Cranes beat Bourne Vale United 3-0 away, while Achilles cruised to a 4-1 home win over Westerfield.
Westerfield actually took the lead through Dan Brkovic after five minutes, as he rifled home a loose ball from a corner.
Sean Hanley levelled on 31 minutes though, with a fine lob, before Gavin Van Oene put Achilles ahead to stay from the spot five minutes later, following a Cooper handball.
Hanley grabbed his second just before the break, and Stephen Vincent made the game safe with 18 minutes left with a header.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Henley Athletic and Trimley Red Devils started this season exactly the same as the last, sharing the points in a 2-2 draw.
Ryan Chidlow put the home side Trimley ahead, with Clark Bruce levelling from the spot on 59 minutes.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
The same player put Henley ahead with a fine free kick with just nine minutes left, but in the 97th minute Trimley grabbed a point after a corner was headed into his own net by the unlucky White.
Bildeston Rangers started their campaign with a cracking 4-1 win over Capel Plough.
Trevor Vinyard notched a brace, while Kieran Dilloway and George Buxton also added goals in what was an impressive victory.
Nick Middlebrook got the lone consolation for the Ploughmen.
Finally, Coplestonians began their season with a 3-0 win over Benhall St Mary, Jordan Godbold firing an opening-day hat-trick for the home side.
Godbold struck after 19, 69 and 71 minutes to give Cops a perfect start to the new campaign.
Other scores: Bramford United 1 Leiston St Margarets 3.