Sito off transfer list
SPANISH defender Sito Castro has been taken off the transfer list by new Blues boss Jim Magilton.Castro, who has a year left on his current Ipswich Town contract, was told by former manager Joe Royle that he could find another club and was put on the list at the end of last season.
By Derek Davis
SPANISH defender Sito Castro has been taken off the transfer list by new Blues boss Jim Magilton.
Castro, who has a year left on his current Ipswich Town contract, was told by former manager Joe Royle that he could find another club and was put on the list at the end of last season.
He was left out of the side that lost at Plymouth, as the Blues slumped to their worst league position in 40 years, and returned home to Spain.
You may also want to watch:
But Sito has returned to a new regime doubly determined to do well and has impressed Magilton with his attitude and dedication.
Magilton said: “I have taken Sito off the list. He has come back in outstanding physical shape, probably the best of all the players and has shown a tremendous attitude.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 9 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
“It often takes foreign players time to settle in but he has done so very quickly and did well last season. He is a likeable guy who is popular and deserves his chance.
“He needs to eradicate the mistakes in his game and that is what we are intending to do.”
While Magilton is looking to add to his squad, he has no intention of letting anyone go and is not welcoming any interest in any of his players.
Magilton said: “All the players come back with a clean slate and have already shown a passion and determination.
“They have every opportunity and we are trying to make it so they have no excuses.
“They want to play in the Premier League and they have to live like Premier League players.”
Magilton has so far added three trialists to the squad, with the trio expected to play a part in Town's first pre-season friendly when they travel to Boston United on Saturday.
Colin Healy, Eugen Bopp and Alexis Bertin will be among a large squad of more than 20 players appearing at York Street as Magilton plans to use a different team in each half.
Magilton confirmed he was interested in Port Vale midfielder Chris Birchall but insisted Town have not made a move for the World Cup star.
He said: “We have been looking at Chris' situation but have not had any conversations with him, his agent or Port Vale. The Vale manager Martin Foyle is an old friend of mine from our days at Oxford but I have not spoken to him about Chris.
“He has done very well but there would be complications with his international commitments for Trinidad & Tobago, so there are many things to consider.”
Magilton dismissed reports linking Town with Rangers duo Nacho Novo and Gavin Rae but confirmed he was hoping to talk to Southampton's Matt Oakley, who has turned down a one-year offer at St Mary's.
Magilton said: “Matt has always been on Premiership wages, which would be too much for us, but I'm still hoping to chat to him personally and see what can be done.”
Meanwhile young Blues' FA Youth Cup-winner Cathal Lordan is looking forward to playing Champions' League football in the coming months after signing for Irish League champions Cork City.