Skiing champ Caroline Powell visits St Mary Primary School
- Credit: contributed
Pupils and staff at Stratford St Mary Primary School put on a special assembly to celebrate Paralympic champion Caroline Powell, who came to visit last week.
Caroline, 19, was the guide for Jade Etherington at this year’s Winter Paralympics in Sochi, and the skiing duo became the first Britons to win four medals in a Winter Olympics.
At the special assembly Caroline presented her silver and bronze medals for everybody to see and the children were allowed to hold them.
One of the pupils said: “It was so heavy, partly as it is made of silver, but also because of the meteor rock inside it; we also learnt that the braille around the edge described which medal it was.”
As well as attending the special assembly Caroline spent the afternoon working in the Woodpeckers Class and discussed how she used her Bluetooth headset to guide her partner Jade as the pair hurtled down a mountain at 70mph.
You may also want to watch:
Caroline then awarded certificates in the school’s ‘achievement assembly’.
Headteacher Elizabeth Kumar said: “This was such a wonderful opportunity for the children; we are very proud of everything that Caroline and Jade achieved.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 9 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket
- 10 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
“To be able to hold a silver medal was a real privilege, but to hear how Caroline, at only 19, has achieved so much in her life was a real inspiration for all the children.”
Jade Etherington, from Chelmsford, has only 5% vision in both eyes, she competes in visually impaired skiing and requires a sighted guide.
She and Caroline have been skiing together since April last year after Jade put out an appeal through Facebook and competing together since August last year.