Skipper upbeat despite missing play-offs
THE dream is effectively over, but Colchester United can hold their heads up high after a rip-roaring play-off showdown at Stoke City on Saturday.The U's quest for a top-six finish was on course at half-time thanks to Chris Iwelumo's 38th minute penalty but Stoke struck three times in a nine-minute spell to seal a 3-1 victory.
By Carl Marston
THE dream is effectively over, but Colchester United can hold their heads up high after a rip-roaring play-off showdown at Stoke City on Saturday.
The U's quest for a top-six finish was on course at half-time thanks to Chris Iwelumo's 38th minute penalty but Stoke struck three times in a nine-minute spell to seal a 3-1 victory.
Barring a series of freak results, United's play-off hopes are over, but skipper Karl Duguid is remaining upbeat. “It's been a great season and you never know - we could win 5-0 next weekend and still be in with a chance!” said Duguid wryly.
You may also want to watch:
The U's are three points behind sixth-placed Southampton and seventh-placed Stoke. They also have an inferior goal difference, with just one game remaining at home to Crystal Palace next Sunday.
Duguid continued: “I thought we played our best football of the season in the first half. We pinned Stoke back in their half, which is what we wanted to happen.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
“We also won the penalty to take the lead, but we really needed to be more than 1-0 up at half-time.
“A crazy 15 minutes at the start of the second-half cost us. We didn't deal with it, conceding three goals, but we can't really complain because we've had a superb season.”