Smith and Downes both complete 90 minutes for Under-23s
Tommy Smith and Flynn Downes both made comebacks from injury as Ipswich Town’s Under-23s drew 2-2 with Bristol City at Portman Road last night.
Centre-back Smith was sidelined for the majority of last season following back surgery and suffered the set-back of a hamstring injury early in this campaign. This was his second U23 outing.
Teenage midfielder Downes impressed at the start of this campaign, but has missed the last three games (and been unavailable for England’s Under-19s) due to a thigh problem.
Both played the full 90 minutes last night, but there was no place in the squad for either Emyr Huws or Teddy Bishop suggesting the central midfield duo aren’t quite ready to return from their respective Achilles and groin problems.
Goals from Arnie Garita and Jake Andrews gave Bristol a two-goal advantage at the break, but Ben Folami reduced the arrears just before the hour after excellent work by Myles Kenlock and then Downes levelled the scores after Ben Morris had been denied.
You may also want to watch:
Town had a flurry of chances in the closing stages but City survived to take a share of the spoils.
There is still no news on how bad the hamstring injury is that saw midfielder Tom Adeyemi withdraw from the Town team prior to the recent 3-1 home defeat to Bristol City.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
TOWN U23s: M Crowe; Connolly, Woolfenden, T Smith, Kenlock; Rowe (D Crowe 90), Downes, McLoughlin (cpt), McKendry (Patterson 75); Morris, Folami. Unused: Daniels, Hayes, Marshall.