Ex Town defender Smith signs for Colchester, with Keane reportedly on target for Wigan
- Credit: Richard Blaxall
Former Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith has signed for Essex neighbours Colchester United.
The 30-year-old centre-back has signed a two-year deal at the League Two club after impressing on trial.
The New Zealand international came through the youth ranks at Ipswich and played more than 250 games for the club.
Following a long-running back problem, he was allowed to join MLS side Colorado Rapids in January 2018. After two successful seasons in the States, he returned to England at the start of 2020 and spent some time training back at Ipswich.
Smith subsequently signed a short-term deal with League One club Sunderland in February but didn’t make an appearance for the Blacks Cats prior to the season being cut short by the Covid-19 pandemic.
He returns to Colchester having had a loan spell there back in 2011.
Meanwhile, former Town striker Will Keane, who was released at the end of last season, was reportedly on target as a trialist for Wigan today in a 5-1 friendly win against Bolton.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 3 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 4 East Suffolk Council to form new company to deliver services after Norse contract ends
- 5 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
- 6 13 years behind bars for man who killed a dad out celebrating with family
- 7 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 8 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 9 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 10 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
Another ex Blues front man, Joe Garner, grabbed a hat-trick in that game, with Town set to host the recently-relegated Latics in their League One opener on September 12.