Sorry Witches go to pieces at the death against Somerset
Somerset Rebels 50 Ipswich Witches 40
IPSWICH Witches fell apart in the second half of Tuesday night’s televised clash at Somerset.
The visitors from Suffolk were in a sound position to at least pick up a bonus point when they led 26-22 after heat eight and 37-35 after heat 12.
But maximum 5-1 scores from the home side in heats 13, 14 and 15 turned the meeting on its head.
“From heat nine onwards our pairings looked good enough to win the meeting,” a disappointed Witches boss Pete Simmons said.
You may also want to watch:
“Each of our pairings looked strong. We are disappointed.”
The Witches started well with Mat Tresarrieu winning heat one and Kevin Doolan and Dakota North hammering home a maximum in heat three.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 4 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 5 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 6 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 7 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 8 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
Ipswich looked to be going six points ahead when North and Leigh Lanham were way ahead in heat five.
But Lanham fell off on his own when in second and it gave the Rebels hope.
Ipswich still led after heat nine and again after heat 12. But they completely fell apart, conceding maximums in heats 13, 14 and 15, so as not even pick up a bonus point.
Ipswich scorers: L Lanham 3+1, K Doolan 10, D North 8+2, M Tresarrieu 11, C Heeps 2, R Tungate 6+2