Southend 1 Colchester 3
Division 1SSouthend 1 Colchester 3Colchester produced one of their best all round team performances to beat local rivals Southend on Saturday.Colchester were sharp from the off, pressurising every Southend player and forcing early mistakes from the home side.
Southend 1 Colchester 3
Colchester produced one of their best all round team performances to beat local rivals Southend on Saturday.
Colchester were sharp from the off, pressurising every Southend player and forcing early mistakes from the home side. Colchester worked well as a unit and this pressure paid off with numerous chances falling to them in the opening stages of the game. The visitors knew this early pressure wouldn't count for anything unless they scored a goal and it wasn't until late on in the first half that they finally managed to take the lead from a rebound off the keeper where Louise Bibby was on hand to score from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Colchester started the second half as they had the first and were desperate to get the second goal which would give them the cushion they needed. The goal came early on from a penalty corner struck powerfully into the corner by Louise Bibby.
Delighted by the breakthrough Colchester pushed hard again and minutes later Bibby's free hit into the 'D' was met by Terri Chiam who struck the ball past the keeper for a deserved goal and a 3-0 lead.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 9 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
The visitor's could have scored further with Lucy Struth going close, but it was Southend who had the final say with a breakaway goal late on in the match.
Colchester finished comfortable winners and move up to fourth in the table.