Southgate 5 Harleston Magpies 1
Men’s Conference League
HARLETON visited the already winner of the league title Southgate for their final match of the season.
The game started brightly with both teams looking to attack each other each trying to take the lead. Southgate shaded the opening exchanges as they looked dangerous in attack stretching the Harleston defence who were able to cope with the home side.
After five minutes Harleston had gained more control on the game as they started to cause the Southgate defence problems of their own. The game was now end to end with both sides causing the other problems meaning it was only a matter of time before one team scored.
You may also want to watch:
Harleston took the lead when Andrew Hipwell skipped passed two defenders before lashing the ball past the helpless goal keeper making it 0- 1 to the away side.
Five minutes later Southgate responded back after winning a short a well-worked routine saw Robert Schilling divert the ball in making the scores level 1-1. The rest of the half continued at high pass with both sides still looking dangerous in attack. Harleston also won a couple of short corners but the Southgate goalkeeper was excellent on the day.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 5 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 6 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 7 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 8 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 9 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
Scores 1-1 in after an even half of hockey.
Second half started much on the same pattern as the first but this time Southgate managed to score after five minutes through Adam Wilson making it 2 -1. Southgate then grew in confidence as it wasn’t long before they added a third on 48 minutes after a disputed short corner award saw Adam Wilson grab his second of the afternoon making it 3-1 to the home side.
Five minutes later Johannes Kloess then added a superb short corner strike making it 4-1. Harleston continued battling but ran out of legs as Southgate dominated the second half. Their final goal came as a result of a defensive mix up enabling Johannes Kloess to score his second of the game sealing the win for the champions 5-1.
Despite the loss Harleston have had a fantastic season finishing fifth in this very competitive league of 10 teams two places better they achieved last term marking the improvement the team have made over the last couple of seasons. Many thanks must go to Robert Stimpson (manager), Bill Williams (coach) and Phil Cobbald (coach) for all their hard work over the season.