Southwold bounce back with fine win – and not one point from the boot!
- Credit: Archant
Southwold 35 West Norfolk 3
The score line is quite impressive but what it doesen’t say is that Wold achieved this bonus point win with 12 of their regular first team squad not available and incredibly without a single point being scored from a boot.
The less said about the kicking the better with no regular kicker available, but after last week’s disappointment at Stowmarket, this performance was what coach Seb Anthony has asked for.
Wold’s first try could not have been simpler with prop Adam Smith catching the ball at the front of a line-out and forcing his way over the line after five minutes for a five-point lead. Five minutes later West Norfolk reduced the lead to two points with a well taken penalty after the Wold backs were given offside at a ruck
Wold themselves got a penalty at the end of the first quarter but kicked for territory in the corner, duly won their own line-out and drove over strongly for Jonny Mayall to score the first of his two tries.
You may also want to watch:
The next try came on the 25 minute mark when Adam Smith ripped the ball out of a West Norfolk player’s hands and made good ground before popping a pass to Matt Howell, who scored. Sam Webb scored another try and the last ten minutes of the first half belonged to Jacob English at full back who scored a try before producing two try-saving tackles.
The second half saw two further tries from Wold, the first on 65 minutes when in a carbon copy of his first half try Mayall went over from another line-out.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Callum Easton was given a place on the 1st XV bench.
He came on to the pitch for his debut with about ten minutes to go. West Norfolk were penalised for a deliberate knock on and with some quick thinking Tim O’Connell took the penalty straight away charging off to the right and with the whole team going with him it was Easton who scored a try in his first game.