Southwold pay the penalty in London 3 North game against Fullerians

Charlie Smith about to score his first of his two tries for Southwold.

Charlie Smith about to score his first of his two tries for Southwold. - Credit: Archant

Southwold fell short in just two crucial areas at the weekend, losing by three points, having conceded 26 penalties in the game.

The hosts were the better side and even East London knew they were fortunate to take the five points.

First blood went to the hosts, when they were awarded a penalty on East London’s 22.

With everyone expecting a kick for goal, a quickly-taken penalty by Jonny Mayall caught everyone by surprise and Charlie Smith crashed over for a great converted try.

Having lost talented fly-half, Callum Anthony, to a shoulder injury, Southwold’s problems mounted as a result of the penalties they were conceding and by the 20th minute, East London had narrowed the deficit to one point, Southwold leading 7-6.

You may also want to watch:

East London had a talented kicker, but that didn’t stop Southwold, playing against the wind, giving penalties away.

Despite all this, Southwold scored next. James Barton streaked away, only to be tackled and be forced into touch.

Most Read

Southwold stole the ball at the lineout and drove over for Duncan Hume to score their second try, albeit unconverted.

Six minutes later, London secured the ball at their lineout and drove 10 metres from the corner for their first try, which was converted, followed by another great kick from the halfway line to make it 12-16.

The visitors added to their score just before the break, although this time, the conversion was missed.

London added another three points shortly after the restart, before Southwold’s Smith was yellow-carded for what was actually the best tackle of the game, much to the disgust of the home crowd.

London took advantage of this and, with an extra man, scored another unconverted try.

Trailing 29-12, Southwold welcomed Smith back onto the pitch and he scored almost straight away, Luke Wade converting.

Ten minutes later the gap was narrowed when Barton kicked ahead and gathered the ball to score in the corner.

Wade missed the wide conversion but soon kicked a penalty to bring Wold within three points at 26 -29 with five minutes to go.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus